This skill set provides a set of skills for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Health Workers and other health professionals to specialise in the provision of smoking cessation strategies for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander clients and communities.
This course will develop knowledge and skills for Aboriginal Health Workers and other health professionals providing information on smoking and smoking cessation programs. It includes the treatment and management of nicotine dependence, the quitting process, behavioural interventions such as brief advice, counselling and intensive support, nicotine replacement therapies and prescription pharmacotherapies, working with families, working with complexity, health promotion in communities and in the workplace and more.
The Tobacco Control course can be undertaken as a stand alone course over 2 study blocks, or can contribute to a Certificate IV in Alcohol and Other Drug Work qualification. The Smoking Cessation Skills Set is the first part of this workshop. Successful completion can also be used to provide credit in a range of qualifications in the health and community sectors.
- CHCCCS014 Provide brief interventions
- HLTPOP014 Assess readiness for and effect behaviour change
- HLTPOP015 Provide information on smoking and smoking cessation
- HLTPOP016 Provide interventions to clients who are nicotine dependent
Enrolment within this course will focus on recruiting the following students:
- Aboriginal Health Workers, working within a Tobacco Control context
- New and existing workers, working within an Aboriginal community setting or with Aboriginal clients and communities without prior qualifications and needing to gain at least an entry level qualification.
- Aboriginal Workers seeking a career transition with appropriate workplace access and life experience.
- Community members seeking to enter the workforce especially if sponsored by a member service who meet the pre-requisite requirements
This skill set has been endorsed by industry as appropriate for people who hold a community services or health qualification at Certificate III level or higher or commensurate industry skills as evaluated through recognition of prior learning processes
Application of this skill set is only appropriate under the supervision of a relevant health professional and as a member of a health care team.
- Specialist tobacco worker (Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander health)
- Alcohol and other drug worker (Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander health)
- Social and emotional wellbeing worker (Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander health)
- Outreach worker
The course includes 2 x 5 day face to face blocks. The learning blocks will be coupled with self-paced and work based learning and assessments and online learning.
Nominal Course Hours